Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Introducing...Mini The Captain!

Yes, it's true. While I was in Australia, Mini The Captain came aboard. Here's how it happened.

So The Captain and I were minding our business, enjoying the fine Australian microbrew and meat pies, sitting on the beach, catching a nice tan. The sun beat down upon us. The sand was gritty. [cue:Hemingway] When out of nowhere came two of the girls we were studying with in Oz (named Nancy and Naomi).

Girls: "Brian, The Captain, you're not going to believe this!"

Brian: "What?"

Girls: "We've found a miniature version of The Captain!"

The Captain: "What?"

Girls: "Yeah! He looks just like you!"

Brian: "What?"

Girls: "The Captain has a smaller version!"

The Captain: "What?"

Girls: "He's in the Western Australia Maritime Museum gift shop!"

Brian and The Captain: "What?"

So The Captain and I left the sandy confines of the beach, threw on some appropriate clothing and turfed it to the museum. As we walked into the door, an attendant asked us if we'd like to buy a ticket. We politely declined, but asked where the gift shop was located. She directed us to the location.

And there, nestled among sketches of skiffs and plastic anchors, was Mini The Captain. The Captain was at once a little alarmed. He started sweating as he carefully examined Mini The Captain.

"Well, I'll be!" he exclaimed under his breath.

We quickly purchased Mini The Captain (for AUS$12!) and took him back to the dorm with us. He and The Captain talked along the way.

The Captain: "Hello, sir."

Mini The Captain: "Hi there!"

The Captain: "Where did you come from?"

Mini The Captain: "The same place you did, of course."

At this point, The Captain seemed to reflect a bit. When we got back to the dorm, he asked to be alone with Mini The Captain. I waited outside the door for what seemed like hours.

Finally, he let me back in. He explained to me that Mini The Captain was actually part of The Captain. He drew a comparison to the Austin Powers Mini-Me.

"It's like he's a smaller version of me. He's exactly the same in every way, except that he's half my size," The Captain explained.

"Awesome," I said, excited that we'd have another member in our party. "So we can take him with us in our adventures?!"

"Of course--he's just a little me. He's Mini The Captain!"

And so Mini The Captain's legacy began.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain, do you have any plans for New Year's Eve? I'm having a party in the city on New Year's Eve, and I'd love it if you could come.

12/29/2005 03:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Anonymous.

I'm actually already going to a party in Chicago for New Year's! But maybe I can stop by yours for a little "New Year's cheer!" Let me know.

PS--You sound like a looker!

12/29/2005 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

ooops. I meant to do that anonymously! damn it!

12/30/2005 03:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be anonymous with me any time you want to, honey.

12/30/2005 03:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home